LOOKING FOR A KISS by Kate Walter
Publishing date: June 16, 2015, Heliotrope Books
- Read Interview with Kate Walter in The Writer’s Inner Journey
- Read GO Magazine’s profile of Kate Walter – “100 Women We Love”
- Read The Villager’s article about Kate Walter and her memoir
- Read excerpt from Looking for a Kiss in Honeysuckle Magazine
- Read Our Town’s article about Kate Walter and her memoir
- Read Lambda Literary’s review of Kate Walter’s memoir
- Read Interview with Kate Walter in Next Avenue
- Read Interview with Kate Walter in Hippocampus Magazine
- Read Interview with Kate Walter in LGBTSr
About Looking For A Kiss
How long does it take to get over heartache? Journalist and teacher Kate Walter wondered if she’d ever feel whole again after her long-term lesbian partnership ended.
A resident of Greenwich Village who spent years recording neighborhood life, Walter explores her recovery from despair in her debut memoir Looking for a Kiss: A Chronicle of Downtown Heartbreak and Healing. Dedicated to “women who have been dumped after 25 years,” the memoir shares her broke, brokenhearted state of being left by a partner of two decades. While many older women—gay and straight—experience divorce, Walter’s break up was more stressful since she was not legally married. But rather than dwelling in regret, Looking for Kiss carries a hopeful message: you can heal your life and land up in a better place. Readers are invited to share her journey to a more conscious life—or at least a hot kiss.
With brave and revealing details, Walter confesses her grief and rage and questions her past choices. Seeking answers and spiritual solace, she joins a gay-positive church, visits psychics, throws herself into yoga and chanting, and starts dating again at 60. Like the urban landscape that serves as her backdrop, Walter’s fast-paced dialogue has a raspy realness and soulful edge. She describes loneliness and longing with humorous and poetic prose. Anyone seeking hope will cheer this funny, gutsy narrator who loses love but finds herself.